The 2021 Richard Wilbur Award
$1000 Prize & Book Publication
Final Judge: David Yezzi
Deadline: December 1, 2020
Named in honor of the distinguished American poet Richard Wilbur, the competition welcomes submissions of unpublished, original poetry collections (public domain or permission-secured translations may comprise up to one-third of the manuscript). This biennial competition (even-numbered years) is open to all American poets — those with or without previous book-length publication — except previous recipients of the Richard Wilbur Award. Winning manuscripts will reflect the thoughtful humanity and careful metrical craftsmanship of Richard Wilbur’s poetry.
Manuscripts should include a title page with the title of the collection, the author’s address, email address, and telephone number. Do not include the author’s name, bio, or any other identifying information anywhere on the manuscript. An acknowledgments page would be welcomed.
The entry fee is $25 per manuscript paid via Submittable. The winning manuscripts will be published by the University of Evansville Press in 2021. The deadline for submission is midnight, December 1, 2020.
***This area is for prospective, undergraduate students applying to the University of Evansville's Creative Writing program***
Welcome to the portal for submitting your admissions portfolio to the University of Evansville Department of Creative Writing. Once you have completed your submission, faculty in the department will read and assess your work, and the portfolio will become part of your official application package to the University of Evansville.
Directions for portfolio submission:
- Please submit up to (but no more) than 10 pages of fiction, creative nonfiction, and/or poetry as one document.
- No academic essays, please.
- The portfolio may be mixed genre (ex. two poems and a six page short story)
- The first page of the document is a title page and should contain only your name, email address, phone number, mailing address, and genre(s) of submission. This does not count as one of your ten pages.
- Portfolio should be in 12-pt font, Times New Roman. Fiction and nonfiction submissions must be double-spaced.
- You may submit an excerpt of a longer piece, though if it is, please clearly state that on the first page.
- Send us your best work--work that represents you as a writer, work that you care about, work that you're proud of.
If during the process you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact our department Chair, Rob Griffith, at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Office of Admissions will contact you regarding your admission status, or you can always contact them at https://www.evansville.edu/admission/
Thank you for your interest in our program, and we look forward to reading your work!